[NTLK] [OT] Attention Mac LC Users: Quantum ProDrive ELS Going Rotten Anytime Soon

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 02:29:06 EDT 2017

Hello list,

So I have this Macintosh LC II for an occasional game with friends of mine, and it used to work fine last summer, but then sometime in December it wouldn’t boot.
I was quite busy with things so I had to put off the repair. Oh how I wish I didn’t.

Realizing it boots fine with an HDD from Mac Classic I took the original HDD out of it’s cage and look:

https://pp.userapi.com/c626617/v626617119/59abb/Tk3CpSV76AM.jpg

If you don’t see it:

https://pp.userapi.com/c626617/v626617119/59aa9/E_98jRXPy5c.jpg

Yup, there are electrolytic caps on that board! (who the hell designed it that way must have been thinking of planned obsolence way too ahead)

Don’t be a shithead like me, check your Macs and keep your data safe :-)

// Ak.R.

iOS/Mac/Windows & Web developer
Vaporwave/ambient producer, sound/video engineer

Genjitsu Gadget Lab Member 001
http://genjit.su