[NTLK] Update on Love Letter to Newton (film)

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 3 02:37:00 EST 2017

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 7:20 am Noah Leon wrote:

> I can especially identify with Mike's palpable frustration over the
> cancellation of Newton, and Apple's decision to absorb it and make it
> disappear. I think that's a wound most of us Newt users carry.

I suppose I am somewhat unique among Newton users in that I don't necessarily blame Steve Jobs for his decision to end the project. He was, IMHO, looking at the greater good of saving Apple's life overall, and saw the dollars and cents of a business division that was probably not bringing in wheelbarrows of money.

Not to go off into a long discussion about a subject debated many times here before, but IMHO at least 4 things helped lead to the Newton's demise: 1) its larger form factor (than that of, say, a Palm Pilot); 2) its lack of a full-color, higher-resolution display, like those found on the then-just-introduced HP Jornada or Palm Pilot; 3) its cost, relative to those units; and 4) the terrible reputation its HWR had already gained, fairly or otherwise.

I love my Newton and use it daily. I can't say that for the other similar machines I also own--Sharp Zaurus, HP iPAQ, Jornada, Palm Pilot. I have grown accustomed to what it can do for me, and I would be lost without it. It's a pity more did not feel this way in the years prior to its demise.

Just my two copper coins of thought, as Lord Groundhog often says.
--
--Forrest
--Sent from my Newton Technology MessagePad 2100