[NTLK] Einstein on Android

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Sun Feb 5 11:32:56 EST 2017

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 12:57 PM, Jake Bordens <jake at allaboutjake.com> wrote:
>
>> one thing comes to mind, has anyone ever found a way to get data in or
>> back out of Einstein?  Last I new there wasn't any import ability unless
>> you got email working and emailed something to yourself and retrieved it
>> with a desktop computer or such.
>
> On iOS you can use the iOSTransport Pacakge, which creates an item in the routing menu which will bring up the iOS Share Sheet.  This is based on the Objective-C Bridge stuff I added to Einstein.  Experimental at best.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the inner workings of iOSTransport...

>>   I never managed to recreate the REx, but read in recent posts, that someone on this list was able to
>> .. create a fresh REx package. If that is so, it should be easy to add the serial port support stubs.
>
> I was able to build the REX recently. I just copied the NewtonDev folder into the Einstein project folder, where the REX’s build scripts expect it to be and ran ‘make’. There is a TSerialChipVoyager implementation in the REX, but I haven’t looked at it carefully. I suspect it might just be an implementation that No-ops the serial port, as when you try to access the serial port in Einstein nothing happens. Might just need some patched functions on the emulator side, I’m not sure.

Allright! The missing Einstein stuff is in

void TNativePrimitives::ExecuteSerialDriverNative( KUInt32 inInstruction )

which lives in src/TNativePrimitives.cp

The binary stubs in Drivers/TSerialChipVoyager.cp actually seem to be in place, but nothing in ExecuteSerialDriverNative is called. Instead we get the "missing resources" error when we try to open a serial port. So this may be a missing hardware register or whatever. Gosh, I am so mad at myself!

I used to know this. Age!

 Matthias