[NTLK] Android IrDA (was: Einstein on Android)

Doug ispinn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:39:04 EST 2017

IrDA stands for both the Infrared Data Association standards group as
well as the set of protocols.

NTLK archive searches confirm an Apple engineer stating the Newton is
fully IrDA compliant. Great. Use IrDA to transfer .pkg files from an
SD card to the Newt, I though.

So, I spent a few hours looking on Google Play for an Android IrDA
transfer tool, but found none. There are a few demos, but no fully
functioning IrDA transfer tools. Some come really close to what's
needed.

Each smart phone is different. Each has to have the right electronics.
Many smart phones (my Samsung Note 4, for example) have IR blasters
for output only. The Note 4 is incapable of two-way, IR communication.
Missing an IR receiver, it's not IrDA compliant, it cannot receive
feedback on packet transfers, and cannot be used to get a Newton .pkg
file transferred to the Newt.

Dang.

The Google Play demos may actually be fully working apps. It could be
that lacking an IR receiver, the Android app disabled parts of the
interface that would otherwise be functioning on a fully IrDA
compatible device.

Different IrDA compliant phone? A fully IrDA compliant Android app?

I think that might work.

Doug