[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 43, Issue 13

Michael Guzzo mguzzo at mac.com
Wed Jul 26 14:29:26 EDT 2017

I don't think that beaming between the Messagepad and Macintosh was ever solved.
Unless someone has figured out how to support NCX transport over IrDA. It's been a while since I played with this capability.

the old NewtonFAQ says
---- cut here ----
http://old.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3c
c) Can I use IrDA (infrared) to transfer information between my desktop and my 2.x Newton?

This does not seem to be supported by Apple tools (NCU, NBU, etc.).
It is possible to use a terminal emulator and Sloup to communicate via IrDA: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/sloup/connect.htm#IrDA
There is a special page about this issue: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/kieran.miller/newton/irda.html
You can also use Thomas Tempelmann's Newton Data Browser (IrDA only works on MacOS PPC) to connect to the Dock application of your MP2x00/eMate 300. http://www.tempel.org/newton/