[NTLK] Quick Take and Newton

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 7 01:30:48 EDT 2017

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Matej Horvat <matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si> wrote:
>
> I have a QuickTake 200 but not a working SmartMedia card, and as far as I know, the camera won't connect to a computer without a card (at least Apple's Camera Access software wouldn't do anything if I remember correctly).

Sharing my QuickTake experiences....

Part of the problem with the QuickTake was the SD cards themselves. According to Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake), the camera only accepted 2 or 4 MB 5 volt SmartMedia cards. These were very soon replaced with 3.3 volt versions (some simply labeled 3 volt), rendering the earlier version obsolete, as the items were not interchangeable). All versions of this media card were discontinued in 2006 ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartMedia# ).

I purchased the first of two QuickTake 200s in early 2000. After some research I purchased as many 5V SmartMedia cards on eBay as I could find. (In fact, one such card was defective and ruined the electronics in one of the QuickTakes).

I also had an adapter shaped like a floppy diskette that allowed the insertion of a SmartMedia card within. This meant that, instead of the relatively clumsy attachment of the camera's cable to a PC or Mac, one could just remove the SmartMedia card, install it into this adapter, pop the adapter into a PC (or older Mac, as by then Macs no longer had floppy drives) and access the photos found thereon.

I've since lost that adapter, but I think I still have the software.

Thanks,
--Forrest