[NTLK] Also back: Paperback book packager site

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Thu Oct 19 17:07:09 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-18, at 4:37 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

>> Can you explain how the book maker works?
>
> Sure. At a high level, it uses the DCL's ability to manipulate and combine
> Newton frames, object, and other data into a valid Newton package.

That's what I thought, but I appreciate the details.

> The underlying command-line tool was announced by Paul on the list back in
> 2004: https://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=108155067823711&w=2

I had completely forgot about this announcement, back when the DCL was the new hotness.

>> Is the file format documented somewhere?
>
> There isn't really a file format per say... it's a Newton package. The input
> is plain text. The only special thing about it is the table of contents detection.

It was the plain text inout format that I was referring to. Specifically, how the hooks for the TOC worked.

> If you could write something for Kirby or whatever that would spit out the
> glossary into a single text file, with these special lines, then bam-o!

Bam-o indeed!

This is precisely what I was looking for.

Thanks, Victor.

g.