[NTLK] Restarting Newton development?!

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 8 21:06:42 EDT 2018

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 8:44 PM, Steven Frank <stevenf at panic.com> wrote:
>
> Great thought exercise! What kind of device would you make if you could magic any hardware or software into existence?  Imagine your own personal Knowledge Navigator concept video.  :)

YES! That’s it! The Knowledge Navigator! If money was no object and I could imagine anything into reality, it would be that.

One could argue that most if not all the parts are in existence. The amount of memory required to run such sophisticated AI—and the lines upon lines of code that would be required—would be a daunting task, I would think.

I would further argue that the Newton is the closest to that idea so far that we have seen...minus the high resolution screen and voice command input, which are admittedly two large pieces of the puzzle. So-called Intelligent Assistants like Siri, Alexa and Cortana are approaching that AI, but we still have quite a ways to go I think.

Mahalo,
Forrest