[NTLK] Newton 2100 on batteries only freeze with ATA or 3rd party linear cards

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 06:31:39 EDT 2018

Hi Newtons,

I play a little with one of my Newtons 2100. What I discover today is that if I work on AA batteries only (new ones, indicator shows me 90%), and I try use ATA memory cards or non-Apple linear memory cards (in this case was 20MB card), my Newton just freeze very bad. Even reset button is not working. The only option is to remove batteries.

What is interesting:

- when I use power adapter, all cards working fine
- this problem is with memory cards only - WiFi card working fine on batteries only
- I thought that ATA driver making problem, but no. Newton have freezing problem on batteries even after total wipeout (power+reset and erase all data procedure)

Any ideas and conclusions? I’m asking, because I could understand ATA card causing problems. But linear cards?

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton 2100)