[NTLK] Love Notes: Restarting Newton development?!

Sylvain Pilet sylvain at pilet.net
Thu Jul 26 21:34:13 EDT 2018

Pawel, Matthias,

About the conference.

Here we are with two conferences that are proposed! Thank you both for these offers. My opinion is that no matter the place if it is done well. The important thing is that as many people as possible can come. If Matthias has a local, it's a big financial advantage. In the past, there was the WWNA (Worldwide Newton Association), which had organized several conferences. Ronie Simon was the president and Paul Guyot was the treasurer, the association was registered in France, and I helped Paul a little for certain things. But this association has not been active since 2009 (https://web.archive.org/web/20090428193954/http://worldwide-newton.asso.eu.org:80/)
The advantage was that funds could be managed to finance conferences and other events. But do not hide your face. Today there are far fewer people still active on Newton. Starting with Paul who was the central pillar of the WWNA association.
If the conference is in Europe, few Americans and Caniadiens will be able to come (the trip is expensive, in addition there is the accommodation). Ditto, if the convetion had occurred in the States (or Canada) few Europeans could come. But for the moment we have two benefactors who wish to organize this in Europe. Above all, do not fight!
Today we can manage the financial aspect of the organization with online services "piggy bank" without having to manage too much administrative, apart from the organization itself.
I think we should first ask ourselves some good questions:
- What would be the purpose (s) of this conference
- Who would be the speakers
- What would be the number of "visitors"
- Would the adminssion be free or paid
…

We could, for example, try to bring together all the speakers of Noah's documentary, it's already quite a lot (provided they all come with a Newton T-Shirt ;-))

But I already propose to see how the NewtonTalk list subscribers react, and how much would be interested to come (as visitors or speakers), it would give an idea of ​​the interest of this conference.

The floor is yours.

Sylvain Pilet

NPDS | Newton Personal Data Sharing
http://messagepad.no-ip.org:3680 (TRACKER)