[NTLK] Apple Newton August 1993

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 13:39:40 EDT 2018

Heh, back about that time, I worked for an Oil and Gas company in Houston, and was the ‘Mac Guy’ there.  Since we were running our personal computer (mostly Macintosh) printing services through the VAX, I had some rudimentary VAX/VMS skilz.  I remember walking by a training session between one of our application guys and one of our paleontologists.  I asked what was up, and was told the paleontologist was learning some app on the VAX.  The paleontologist looked up and said “I see that the ‘V’ in ‘VAX’ stands for ‘vague’!”  Noting that commands changed depending on where you were on the system, and what you were trying to so.  So something like ‘execute’ would run an app in one directory, yet would do nothing elsewhere, so you’d have to type something like ‘ex’, or ‘run’.  :-)

He was right, you know.

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas