[NTLK] eMate diagnostics card, k diags image

Randy Glenn randy.glenn at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:34:12 EDT 2018

My guess is that a diagnostic card would bypass the ROM altogether,
otherwise you can't test for a bad ROM.

The first 32 bytes of the .BIN file look a lot like an ARM vector table to
me. All of the vectors map to memory starting at 0xEA000000 - kind of
weird, since the N2 docs say the PCMCIA cards are mapped to
0x30000000-0x3FFFFFFF or 0x40000000-0x4FFFFFFF. Maybe 0xEA000000 is RAM,
and the digital controller copies the card data into that location on boot?
How it would detect a test card, I'm not sure - really hoping it's not
using the CIS for that.

The image is 1048576 bytes (what we used to call a megabyte) exactly, and
the last chunk of the image is the pattern 0x6DB repeating (two bits on,
one bit off, repeating). The magic hex number 0xFEEDFACE appears in a few
various places in the image.

I think this is a bare-metal ARM program for testing, and I think it
overrides the normal boot process. That last part is a guess, though. It'd
be interesting to load this up on a 1MB flash card, and see if it works.