[NTLK] Software for a young child

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Fri Nov 2 20:09:08 EDT 2018

> On Oct 31, 2018, at 8:03 PM, Joe Kelly <joewkelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> My daughter is turning 4, and she has asked for a "kid computer".  I plan
> on getting her an eMate.  Does anyone have suggestions for freeware /
> shareware to install that would be age appropriate?
>
> She is just learning her alphabet, so the built in handwriting recognition
> should be perfect for that task.  I didn't know if there were specific
> guides on how to draw letters, or as she grows up, spelling or math games?
>
> Hangman seems like a good one -
> http://unna.dillernet.com/view.php?/games/Ahorcados-hangman

This topic came up just last year, actually ...

Back in 2008, Woody Smith compiled a list of packages that he had tested:

https://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=120442378718057

James Fraser expanded on this in a subsequent reply:

https://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=120449715701083&w=2

Tony Kan also has a list of educational titles listed here:

http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/11/educational-software.html

Note that many of the download links will have died over the years, but many of these packages are available on the UNNA backup site:

http://stevenf.com/unna/

If there are any packages that you are unable to locate, let me know and I'll throw some of my archive-fu at them.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian