[NTLK] Cry for help! My Lady Newton is ill. Very, VERY ill.

B Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Wed Nov 14 02:16:38 EST 2018

Yeah, looks like you’ve got a paper weight Newt.

My sympathy!

Is any of the memory on a card (or more)?

If so, perhaps someone on list would be willing to pull it into their Newt and then grab as much as possible into a format OSX can handle.

If not, I can try to figure out how to connect my 2100 to my Mac, OS 10.9. If successful I’d be willing to help.

Prayers!

you wrote:
> I’m not really sure what happened, so I’ll describe the symptoms.  The “patient” is my MP2000U.
>
> For about a little over a week, I noticed that the on/off switch would “hesitate” when I would turn Newt on or off, and stopped operating the backlight altogether.  On Thursday morning, I pushed the switch.  Nothing.  A lot of pushing, a lot of nothing.  The batteries were only 3 days old but I figured I’d try fresh ones anyway, just in case.  Nothing.  Plugged it into the mains.  More nothing.  (BTW, I only own and use genuine Newton adaptors.  I’d give Newti filet steak and poutine if she wanted it, but she’s never asked.)
>
> Unplugged Newt and removed the batteries, and left her overnight.  Friday, tried again.  Nothing.  Every kind of nothing.  I've now repeated that over the weekend.  Lots more nothing.
>
> What, if anything, can I do?  I’ll admit it and save everyone the trouble of telling me what an idiot I’ve been:   I’ve been careless about backing her up because she’s been so reliable, and there is nothing currently in existence or on the horizon that I can see replacing her.  Also, if I need a genuine excuse, I started having trouble getting a connection to work through my Keyspan and NCX, somewhere around OSX 10.5 or 10.6.  I never did figure out how to get it working again as I upgraded OSX.
>
> My life revolves around Lady Newton, from work to recreation.  I do my planning and my social life in Dates and Names, and my listening, thinking, and dreaming in Notes, all augmented by jaw-droppingly wonderful software from Silverware and Five Speed Software and a few other goodies.  That’s in addition to all my working life being scheduled on Newt.
>
> Now I’m stranded.  Work and non-work alike are in limbo, all because of a switch.  I used to be able to switch to a backup MP2100 but I gave it to someone who was in trouble because of an accident with their own, and it isn’t possible to borrow it back now even if that were appropriate.  I know I have some important work meetings coming up as the year draws to a close, but I don’t have all the details I need because I can’t turn on Newti.
>
> That’s everything I can think of that might be diagnostically relevant.  Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions, and so on.  I don’t deny I’m going through something like withdrawal and grieving, rolled into one, but it’s also a practical problem that at my age, the grey cells aren’t anything like as reliable as the green circuits.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Shalom,
>
> Christian

> [...]

via cable from low-power MacBook lacking wireless devices,
hence radiating no deadly EMR connectivity: see RadiateNot.Me;
plus powered by non-radiating coaxial DC cable from utility shed
where wall wart* EMR is indetectably far away
                           *standard Apple shielded power supply = less emissions