[NTLK] Modern Wifi for Newton ?

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 06:02:20 EDT 2018

Hi Andrei,

> On 8 Sep 2018, at 06:28, Andrei Chichak <newton at chichak.ca> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I’ve programmed both the 8266 and 32.
>
> There’s going to be a few issues.
>
> First, the case on the newt is sputtered with metal on the inside. Before you invest a lot of time in this, check to see if you can get any radiation through the case.
> The antenna on the various modules is usually a trace and three of the four radiating directions will be attenuated by the metallization.
> The last direction would be through the square cutout in the back of the 2100.

Yeah, I agree about this. That can be even impossible to put that ESP modules inside Newton 2x00 - there is no much space for anything…

What about PCMCIA version or even kind of external box, connected to serial port? I know we have normal WiFi cards, but the problem is that they are 11Mb only, WEP only or even no encryption.

I have in my head something like external GSM/WiFi module in old Apple Modem case: http://tiny.cc/cgu8xy <http://tiny.cc/cgu8xy>

I have SIM800 module (http://tiny.cc/lhu8xy <http://tiny.cc/lhu8xy>) which have RS232 port and can use normal AT command. It is so heap (about $10). What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski