[NTLK] Connecting to Win 10

Tere tjggriffin1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 12:44:06 EST 2019

Okay, so I decided to try out my MP2100 after a decade or so sitting on the
side lines. My goal is to dump the ROM and get Einstein running on my old
Galaxy Note 4.

After a week or two of tries and fails, I found a combination of computer
and serial cable that will provide a connection. But then I hit a wall. I
ended up connecting to a Surface Pro 6, using an old Newton serial port to
DB9, going into a Keyspan USA-19HS. I have an Ser001 installed, but don't a
cabling solution to get to DB9 or USB.  I'm using NCUWin710 version of
Newton Connection Utility on the SP6.

So, where I'm at now... I plug in the Newton to the SP6. start up
NCUWin710, tap Dock on the 2100. At this point, before the Keyspan, I would
get a timeout error, that the connection was stopped because there was no
response from the computer. But with the keyspan, it prompts me for a
password. I tried the PIN I set on the 2100, along with every old PIN I
could think of. I even tried my ATM PIN. I tried known defaults, 0000,
1234, 1111, etc. I removed the PIN from the 2100 and checked "Save
password" in Dock prefs, hoping it would tell NCU that there is no PIN. I
completely uninstalled and re-installed NCUWin710. After tapping Connect,
before or after entering the password, the Connection Status on NCU
changes. The text switches from "Start by establishing a connection..." to
"Connected..." and back again. The icon always has an X. So the Newton and
computer are talking to each other.

Questions: Does NCU REQUIRE a PIN to connect, or can one set it up without
a PIN? I know I can change the PIN in NCU setting, but I need the old PIN
to do that. Is there a way to clear a PIN without the old PIN? How does
removing the PIN from the 2100 effect NCU? Is there a cache or resource
where the PIN is saved that survives uninstalling?

Brief history:
I tried a CableCreation w/ Prolific chipset, and a CoolGear w FTDI. I tried
connecting to both my SP6 and a 13 in white MacBook, early 2009. I load and
reloaded different driver versions, different Connection versions. I even
tried running older ones in different Win 10 compatability modes. They only
98, but put it off until the Keyspan cable arrived.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Tere