[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19

Allen Russell Allen.Russell at linde.com
Mon Feb 25 13:30:56 EST 2019

This web site shows that DTR and DSR pins are used.
https://www.jneuhaus.com/applserl.html
It also says the connection weren't tested.  It may be worth adding those two pins, jumpering them so DTR and DSR is always high.

Allen

>Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:42:38 -0500
>From: Tere <tjggriffin1 at gmail.com>
>To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
>Subject: [NTLK] Ser-001 Pins
>I decided before investing in mini din 8 to DB9 cable that is longer than necessary, I'd try to slice one together from what I've got. I checked the continuity of my >cables, cut off the ends and tested which pins go to which wires. I found a pin mapping and spliced them together. The result was less the a foot long. Perfect. I >tested the continuity again and the connections were good.
>But it didn't work. I know my Ser-001 is good, as I used to connect a Stowaway keyboard to my Newt. I think the problem is that the DB9 cable only had three >wires, ground, Txd and Rxd. For standard serial that should be enough. Does the Newton use other pins? Is it possible that I need to re-seat the Ser-001, even >though the ketboard works?
>The cabling solution I have now uses the Newton Connect port since I don't have a mini din 8 to DB9. I would loike to get away from that.
>Thanks!
> - Tere
The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential and is provided solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, or use of this e-mail, its attachments or any information contained therein is unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and any attachments. No responsibility is accepted for any virus or defect that might arise from opening this e-mail or attachments, whether or not it has been checked by anti-virus software...