[NTLK] Autoserver: Tweet from @bryanstearns

Dennis Swaney romad at nvwisp.com
Fri Jul 19 12:16:37 EDT 2019

But at least ClarisWorks was an integrated package complete with (list
courtesy of Wikipedia):

   - a word processor <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_processor>, which
   in version 6 also includes an equation editor
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_editor> based on MathType
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathType>
   - a drawing program,
   - a painting program,
   - a spreadsheet <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreadsheet>,
   - a database <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database> program,
   - a terminal program <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_program>
   for communications (up to version 5), and
   - a presentation program (in version 6).

Its replacement was (and STILL is) a bundle of 3 separate applications
covering word processing, spreadsheet and presentation that are not tightly
integrated. The main module/application missing in this consumer package is
a database program. Supposedly the ordinary consumer is supposed to buy the
overpriced and extremely complex FileMaker, but that suggested answer is
just asinine. So in lieu of a database program, I'm forced to use the
spreadsheet program. I started with AppleWorks 1 and went up through
version 5 on my Apple IIc and when I moved to Macintosh, I started with
ClarisWorks 1 and continued to the end with version 6 (though I almost went
with "BeagleWorks"). What is interesting that after ClarisWorks 5 was
renamed "AppleWorks 5" there were two separate programs with the name,
neither of which had a "for..." suffix to tell them apart by name!

Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Cogito Ergo Mac"