[NTLK] Newton Protest 1998 videos?

Noah Leon moosefuel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 20:42:34 EST 2019

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 12:00 PM, newtontalk-request at newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> I'm still wondering where they might be. Any leads from your side Noah?

I got as far as noticing someone in the photos being filmed, but I didn’t track it further than that. Unfortunately I ended up being somewhat overwhelmed with work. I’m sure everyone here has times where they have to shelve their passion-project while they go work or spend time with family.

Here is the photo in question, though, if anyone feels like taking up the challenge: https://web.archive.org/web/20030501232031/http://pwp.value.net/~robin/nd4.jpg <https://web.archive.org/web/20030501232031/http://pwp.value.net/~robin/nd4.jpg>

I notice a few things about this photo. First, they’re using a prosumer DV camera, not a high-end beta-style machine that you would have with a News outlet. The camera-guy is young, doesn’t have great big expensive headphones, the microphone doesn’t have any kind of branding on it and there doesn’t appear to be a wind-shield, and although the bearded man is wearing a blazer, it appears to be a T-shirt underneath. So that says to me, these guys are more than just fans, but not big news. Where did low-budget reporting in Silicon Valley go before the internet?

It is part of this collection: https://web.archive.org/web/20030221015123/http://pwp.value.net/~robin/ <https://web.archive.org/web/20030221015123/http://pwp.value.net/~robin/>

The photos are by Robin Diane Goldstein on her QuickTake camera.