[NTLK] eMate questions and font creation

Thomas Brand thomasbrand at mac.com
Thu Mar 21 11:25:08 EDT 2019

Good morning,

Sadly my process is not as ingenious as it might sound. In essence it is an elaborate form of sneakernet.

Since modern Macs are moving away from AFP I use CF cards to ferry my data to a PCMCIA slot equipped PowerBook. I use a Compact Flash to PCMCIA card adapter to read the CF card on the PowerBook. (This adapter is also a really great way to bring solid state storage to a older Mac.)

With 4 GB CF cards being so cheap I can fit the entire UNNA on one card and have access to the Newton’s entire back catalog of software from my PowerBook. Once I have decided on a app I want to install the sync is performed using Newton Connection Utilities.

It may not be the most wizbang solution for getting data on and off a Newton, but it certainly is the most reliable. I highly recommend anyone wishing to bootstrap a Newton first buy a legacy Mac with a PC Card slot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5999tchjuk43sz5/2019-03-21%2011.23.11.heic?dl=0

Thomas Brand