[NTLK] Worldwide Online Newton Conference 2020

Pawel Piotrowski newton at indigi.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 08:52:30 EDT 2020

Hi Morgan,

> On 13 Apr 2020, at 00:52, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>
> I think this is a great idea and I would look forward to attending as long
> as I can make time in my schedule. (In the short term, that's looking to be
> easy, although that's not really a good thing.)

I’m happy that you like my idea :) And I hope to listen you during that Conference :)

> Your suggestion of times makes sense to me, but I'm in the eastern US. I
> imagine there are quite a few people in western North America who might
> find a 9am start time a bit early.

I’m trying to find the good timing for ALL people. If we start 10-11am is USA then whole Europe will be forced to stay during the night. It is not fair to Newton users in Europe. I’m trying to find the balance. But it is good to discuss this matter.

Personally, I think that 17:00 UTC-0 is the best option. It gives 18:00 in most of the Europa countries, 9:00 in Las Angeles (UTC -8), 10:00 in Denver (UTC -7) and 12:00 in New York (UTC -5).

I know that whole Asia and Australia will be wronged, but I’m trying to fit time for countries where we have most of the users.

> I would suggest against Zoom due to some of the security & privacy issues
> it has. That said, I don't currently have a good suggestion for an
> alternative and they're at least addressing some of the security issues.
> Maybe Microsoft Teams, but I'm unclear on the exact pricing as I don't
> maintain an Office 365 account. Either way, whatever can broadcast to the
> broadest spectrum of Newton users and also record the sessions.

I think the Zoom is the best option now. It’s free, available on most important platforms, and not bad in term of reliability. I think the security & privacy is general problem of the internet. And this is open conference - we do not organise any top secret and data strategic conference, so  I wouldn't worry about that much. MS Teams are not free. There is Jitsi, but I don’t know much about it. It is Open Source (which is great), but when I’ve checked info about platforms and installation it is seems like you need to install it wfrom the Terminal etc, which I don’t like to force people to do it.

Cheers,
Pawel