[NTLK] Online Newton conference

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Wed Apr 15 17:09:28 EDT 2020

> 1. Do we want to have 1 day or 2 days event? If only 1 day, which one will
be better (2nd May - Saturday or 3rd May - Sunday)?

I'd vote for two days. Maybe even three. This could increase the number of
participants, since our Asian friends would only need to sacrifice a couple
of hours instead of a whole night.

> 2. Do we want to make this event private or public?

I would make it private. It's the first time we are doing this, and we might
have to iron out a couple of issues. If this (which I don't really expect)
works flawlessly at the first attempt, we can make the next conference open
for guests. As Doug suggested, I'd strongly suggest a dry run, just to make
sure things will work as expected when we're doing the real thing. This dry
run should happen a couple of days prior to the real event.

> 3. We thinking about to create some Patreon account to gather a few coins
to buy some small gifts for presenters, and to cover some expenses
> (web domain, Zoom account for unlimited time etc.). We will ask for really
small donations. What do you think about it?

I think that wouldn't be worth the effort. I've had a donate button on my
site for the last 20 years, and the only people who ever donated were
NewtonTalk list members. I think chances are slim that anybody who's not a
list member would donate. But I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong :-)

> 4. We thinking about to create separate Slack group for additional
communication, files exchange etc. We don?t want to use existing Slack group
> (applenewton.slack.com <http://applenewton.slack.com/>), as the free
option have 10K messages limitation. What do you think about it?

I haven't a clue what Slack is, but what can it do that Zoom can't do? Be
aware that I've used neither of the two so far. If we want to exchange
files, we can always use our E-Mail addresses, which are visible to list
members.

A recording would be nice, though. I'm still regretting that the video
footage of the first Worldwide Newton conference in Paris was never
published. Once you reach my age, it's getting more and more difficult to
rely on your memory

 :-)

Cheers

Frank