[NTLK] List Messages - encoding issue?

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Tue Feb 4 17:39:44 EST 2020

> On Feb 4, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Alex Santos via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>
> I see an = sign appear at the end of each line.
>
> Sometimes things like this too:
>
> trust you=E2=80=99ve
>
> I am guessing that this is some encoding problem?
>
> Can I intervene to fix this on my end?

Yes, this is definitely an encoding related issue, likely due to inconsistent encoding being applied when messages are transferred between different servers and mail clients. If everything used UTF-8 as a base character set, this wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, differences between email clients, operating system localization, mail server file systems, and even our mailing list software, cause no end of inconsistencies.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian