[NTLK] Cable

Pawel Piotrowski newton at indigi.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 18:58:44 EST 2020

> On 10 Jan 2020, at 23:41, arceeHS <arceehs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This <  https://www.ebay.com/itm/143461902863?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
>> will work just fine if your Mac has a serial connection. If you need
> to connect to a USB Mac you will need a Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter
> like this < https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyspan-Twin-Serial-Adapter-USA-28X/114054146978?hash=item1a8e282ba2:g:IZsAAOSw7gpeE~O0
>> for the computer end.

Like I said in my article - all Keyspans and other older cables have one problem - drivers. So, if you have modern Mac with one of the latest macOS, don’t buy any Keyspans - a lot of problems. Instead of Keyspans buy that UGREEN cable (available at all Amazons etc.)

So, that UGREEN cable will give you ‘USB -> RS232’.

Another cable you need is ‘RS232 -> RS422’. RS232 is the PC 9 pin standard. RS422 is Mac serial cable 8-pin. Particulary, you need female RS232 -> male RS422 cable (because UGREEN cable have male RS232 plug. That cable is a standard Newton cable for PC computers. Available very often on eBay.

So, at the end you will have USB -> RS232 -> RS422 cable.

The reason I’m big fan of that UGREEN cable is that you don’t need ANY drivers - just plug in and done.

Plus NCX app and voilà :)

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>