[NTLK] Jim's dead Newton

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:45:21 EDT 2020

Hi Sylvain,

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM Sylvain Pilet <sylvain at pilet.net> wrote:

> exchanging two Newton 2x00 ROMs of the same language does not cause a
> Brain Wipe

By my understanding Apple officially released two ROMS English and German
for the MP2000/2100.

The Watson ROM (French), which was a third party development for the French
Health Care System was not officially released by Apple.

I would suspect that Newton had a specific tag denoting each of the
language ROMS and for the Watson it's reflects it's different from the
English and German ROMS because the Newton does a check in seems in its
boot up sequence.

So when you install one ROM (English) which is the most common into a
Newton with another language ROM (German/eMate or Watson) it would cause
the system to warn you of a Brain Wipe. The eMate 300 at the factory is
actually NOS 2.2 but had it overlaid with NOS 2.1 If you put in an
MP2000/2100 ROM in it will offer to brain wipe and you would then see NOS
2.2.00-0

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/103623518/in/album-72057594069361646/

God bless,

Sonny Hung