[NTLK] Jim's dead Newton

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Wed Jul 8 16:04:55 EDT 2020

> On Jul 8, 2020, at 20:08, Sylvain Pilet <sylvain at pilet.net> wrote:
> Well what I'm saying is that when you exchange two identical ROMs (2 ROMs of MP2000 US) there is always a Brain Wipe.

That is extremely unlikely. The ROMs are masked programmed and do not contain a serial number or any kind of Flash RAM. ROM boards should be perfectly identical. The MessagePad can't distinguish between taking out a ROM card and putting the same card in again, and taking a card out and putting another card in with the same language and version.

Unless...

Unless you have two ROM boards with the same language, but differen ROM versions. AFAIK, Apple has not released different versions, but they did have ROM boards made from two different manufacturers, so you may have two identical ROMs made by two different companies, but I am surprised that this would require a brain wipe.

 - Matthias