[NTLK] Updating the time & date: NetTime

nicmalone at mac.com nicmalone at mac.com
Mon Jun 1 13:54:35 EDT 2020

Hello Jim

I just installed such a pkg, NetTime, after reading this excellent blog:
http://message-pad.net/nettime-and-daylight-saving-rfc-868/
It detects when your Newton has an internet connection and pings a special server to get the time and date.

Of course you need to get the Newt online first. There are several guides posted by some of the Newtorati on this forum, e.g. http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2008/08/going-wireless-setting-up-wifi.html?m=1

You can’t do much on the modern web, and you can’t send emails unless you have access to an email server that does not require SSL-compliant email clients (which the Newt does not have) but it’s worth it for NetTime alone! The 2010 patch means a reset Newton’s clock resets to 2008 rather than much earlier (1970-something) but that’s still 12 years to tap through when setting the date.

Cheers
Nic