[NTLK] [ANN] New archive of NewtonOS icons

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Oct 12 13:31:05 EDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:31 Grant Hutchinson <newtontalkmessages at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Oct 12, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Noah Leon <moosefuel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know who designed all these icons? I believe a lot of them
> > were done by Marge Boots. I wanted to interview her for the film but
> > wasn’t able to get a response.
>
> I’m interested in tracking down this information as well. Designing
> minimalist iconography is a special skill ... just look at the portfolio of
> Susan Kare or the early work by Iconfactory.

I would love to include some of this information in the README for the
repository in addition to the usual places. I was unfamiliar with Marge
Boots' name, but I see her thanked in the Newton User Interface Guidelines
book (http://www.newted.org/download/manuals/Newton20UIGuide.pdf):

  "Special thanks to Marge Boots, Bob Ebert, and Garth Lewis."

Looking at Newton Technology Journal Volume III, Number 2 (
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/developer/NewtonTechnologyJournal/NTJ_3_02.pdf),
Bob Ebert was Newton Developer Advocate and Garth Lewis was Manager, User
Experience, Newton Systems Group.

Back to Marge, Walter Smith wrote on Twitter (
https://twitter.com/walter_smith/status/1281276352461705216?s=21):

  "Credit to Marge Boots who so cleverly and lovingly placed those pixels!"

He also posted pictures of her "caf and decaf Newts":

  https://twitter.com/walter_smith/status/1281285098910998528?s=21

She also apparently designed this Prince-like Newton logo for the "Quark"
(MessagePad 130) project:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/apple-newton-messagepad-130-project-1830239104

(Somebody should archive those photos.)

Morgan