Re: NTLK Newton for broadcast quality audio

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 07:59:22 EST

"Todd E. Gleason" schrieb:
> It appears the MP2100 could record a native broadcast quality file (16 bit 21khz.)
Forget it. The ADC is limited to 5 or 8kHz sampling rate at 8 bit.

> Is there software to record in other file formats? (mp3 or mp2)
The data stream e.g. from the RAM card to the DAC is also not always
sufficiently fast. You might get spikes and interruptions if you have a
certain bad software constellation, some sort of memory fragmentation.

> Does Newton OS use the Macintosh sound-manager? (if so there is an type
> II PC slot audio card which could be used as the input)
No sound manager as on the Mac and PC cards will probably not work
because ther're no drivers in the Newton format available.

I've met people from radio broadcast stations recording interviews using
MiniDisc recorders (stereo, 16-bit, 44.1kHz sampling rate, excellent
cutting possibilities, etc.).

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand