Re: NTLK NTLK; Long Live Newton & eMate!

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 05:54:02 EST

> From: "Gary Moody" <gmoody@hotmail.com>

> Okay, when I open the back of the eMate, there are two possible slots in it.
> With the battery (and the handle) towards you (in relation to the slots),
> there is a left slot and a right slot. The left slot has a card of some
> type in it, the right one is empty.

The left one is the eMate's ROM, somebody that is less faint of heart than
me once powered his eMate up without the card in, didn't do any damage,
didn't do him any good either though, my guess is that Apple originally had
the idea of releasing upgrade cards themselves, or a more powerful eMate,
never got an official confirmation on that though.....
The right slot is where you put your upgrade card in.

> What does this mean? Is it upgraded?

So no, this one isn't upgraded.

> My understanding is that the existing card (which has nearly no componentry
> on it) is supposed to be there and the eMate cannot run without it, and the
> right slot is the one used for the memory upgrade...yes? Or should this
> card be in the right slot and the memory card goes in the left?

No, don't swap them, and yes, your assumption is on the mark.

> How do you identify what's where? Does the card have any markings on it I
> can use for identification?

Don't remember and don't have the time to open one up right now, in case of
the upgrade it depends on the make.

Robert Benschop

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com