NTLK Basilisk II

From: Geoff Hall (bypass@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 19:17:41 EST

Hi all,
Just thought I'd let those of you with too much free time, no mac and no friends this Xmas ;) , if you want to have a go at running the mac newt apps, you should try Basilisk II which is a FREE 86040 mac emulator for the PC. It seems to work quite well. There's a nifty My Computer virtual drive on the mac desktop that allows you to access all the PC files. The FPU apparently still has some bugs but it seems to be very stable. Only the serial link is available.
Unfortunately, the emulation is a little slow (my system PIII500, 128Mb Ram, running MacOS8.1, with 64Mb Ram allocated to Basilisk). Most of the apps seem to run well. I managed to even synch between NCU and Claris Organiser 2 which I haven't even managed to do with my PB190!! (must be the mac equivalent of Slowdown....)

NCU runs well (accesses even pkgs on my PC drive). Press also seems to work. NTK is very slow to start up but seems to work (I've only used the inspector so far and haven't tried to compile any progs yet). C++ tools (MPW) SEEMS to work although I can't seem to get it to do anything ( I think this is probably NOT a emulation issue....if anyone can hold my hand and step me through the Demo project, mounting building etc etc, I would be most grateful... did
someone say there was an error in the newt C++ scripts???)

Basilisk is available here:
http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

You will need a copy of a Mac rom from a 80640 desktop machine (powerbooks and PowerPC roms don't work). There's a utility with Basilik that will make a copy onto a floppy disk when you insert it into a mac.

Anyway, enjoy. Merry Xmas everyone.

Geoff Hall

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com