NTLK re: OMP Questions

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen@cowboy.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 11:17:01 EST

>Didn't get much of a responce last time so I'll broaden the field. I have
>a OMP (the very first Newton model) and want to know how much memory it
>can hold in the expansion card slot and where I can get that memory.
>I would like to send email using it. I have a external portable modem
>coming in a day or so but really need memory to run the email program. (I
>have OS 1.0 and eNotes with 200K of internal mem. and 150K going to
>eNotes.) Is there any OS upgrades I should get or things like that? Any
>information relating to the OMP would be appreciated. This is the only
>source of Newton info I have. Thanks a lot, Tom Zeilstra

I spend a bit of time tripping out my first OMP a couple years ago. Yes
it is limited but there are a bunch of freeware things to add to it. I did
find one vt100 term prog demo that worked well on it (EZConnect, one of
the old versions) but it only lets you hit the return key 5 times then
hangs up on you, and the author has vanished. (If anyone has info on the
author or on getting more usefulness from this app, let me know!).

Th best source of info for 1.0 and 1.3 machines is still (IMO) the old
FAQ that I've only seen available on the Michigan State (Newton) Users
group. I think it's renamed "Palmtop" group or something now- the link is
http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/msnug.htm

and look down the page for the "new" and "old" FAQs. You want the "old".
many pages of details on apps, etc. Most of those old apps are still
available under the 1.3 directories of AMUG newton pages (www.amug.org).
The FAQ is a nice summary of what you might want to look for though.

I am interested in knowing which email client you are using, if it works.
I had trouble just finding vt100 shell term for it that would work without
running out of space. You can only use shell-type access clients with it
for sure, you have no PPP availability for the OMP (or any 1.x machine).
there are appls like "PrefsCleaner" that will let you nuke the prefs file
for an application, perhaps that will reset the demo period? I'd never
tried "enotes".

There is also an OS upgrade (I recall) to 1.05, which steals some of your
RAM and adds it to system heap (it's been ages, but the old FAQ will
confirm if this is a correct statement), it's only 20K or something small
but the OMP needs all the help it can get. If you are truly at 1.0, you
will likely want this update.

My OMP is currently disassembled, I was in the middle of moving its screen
to a 1.3 machine, which would do email much better(!) (at least there's
more clients to try), then I came across a cheap MP120/2.0 and the OMP and
1.3 machines are still sitting waiting to be reassembled :) (anyone
interested in purchasing? I'll reassemble and test them, sometime...)

As far as storage cards, you have to have 5/12V linear flash, Pretec is a
usual brand, I was able to use a 4 meg one. They are a little hard to
find, www.timasci.com has them but they are still about $60-80 and not
getting cheaper as time goes by. You will be able to use the card with a
MP110, MP120 or 2100 (but not an emate) if you ever get a different Newton
model.

I suspect you wil have trouble finding even a send-only mail client for
the OMP, and even then it likely will only work if you dial into a unix
box and the client telnets into their pop server (I think there was a
"Unimail" or similar from Lunatech that would work on NOS 1.3, not sure of
NOS 1.05 availability). I'm sure someone will correct if I'm throwing
around the wrong app names :)

Hope that helps! Do let us know if you find something that works out!

Brian

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com