NTLK Great news: ebooks in PalmDOC format can now be read on your Newt on!

From: RAND Peter (Peter.Rand@bankaustria.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 10:02:54 EST

One of the Newton's outstanding features is its built-in ability to read
NewtonBooks. However, with the official cancellation of the Newton, it has
become increasingly difficult to find a good selection of up-to-date ebooks
in Newton format. Palm users, on the other hand, enjoy a growing number of
freeware ebooks in PalmDOC format, and an increasing number of contemporary
titles (at about $5 per ebook) are also being offered in PalmDOC format.

Steve Weyer has now added a plug-in to Newt's Cape that makes it possible to
download PalmDOCs (in .pdb or .prc format) to the Newton and convert them
automatically into NewtonBooks. For enthusiastic readers such as myself,
this is an amazing development - suddenly thousands of new books that were
"off-limits" to the Newton can now be read as any other NewtonBook!

Books in PalmDOC format can be found for example at:
http://www.memoware.com/.
While ebooks in .prc and .pdb format can be downloaded directly to the
Newton, ebooks in zip format need to be downloaded to a desktop, unzipped,
and then emailed to a Newton running SimpleMail version 4.0. Newt's Cape can
then load the .prc or .pdb attachment from the Inbox.

Contempory ebooks can be purchased at http://www.memoware.com/mw-books.htm
for about $5 per title. Select a book in .prc format, provide your credit
card number over the secure server, and then download the ebook to your
desktop in zip format. Unzip the book and email it to your Newton as
described above. I just bought and downloaded my first-ever commercial
ebook, and Newt's Cape is now converting it to a NewtonBook....... it works!
I now look forward to reading this and other contemporary novels on my
Newton.

For more information about using Newt's Cape to read ebooks in PalmDOC
format, contact Steve Weyer at sweyer@bellatlantic.net.

Great job Steve - I want to thank you on behalf of the entire Newton
community for this fantastic new feature which significantly extends the
useful life of my Newton.

Peter Rand

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com