Re: NTLK Great news: ebooks in PalmDOC format can now be read on your Newt on!

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 11:57:42 EST

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, RAND Peter wrote:

> One of the Newton's outstanding features is its built-in ability to read
> NewtonBooks. However, with the official cancellation of the Newton, it has
> become increasingly difficult to find a good selection of up-to-date ebooks
> in Newton format. Palm users, on the other hand, enjoy a growing number of
> freeware ebooks in PalmDOC format, and an increasing number of contemporary
> titles (at about $5 per ebook) are also being offered in PalmDOC format.
>
> Steve Weyer has now added a plug-in to Newt's Cape that makes it possible to
> download PalmDOCs (in .pdb or .prc format) to the Newton and convert them
> automatically into NewtonBooks. For enthusiastic readers such as myself,
> this is an amazing development - suddenly thousands of new books that were
> "off-limits" to the Newton can now be read as any other NewtonBook!
>
> Books in PalmDOC format can be found for example at:
> http://www.memoware.com/.
> While ebooks in .prc and .pdb format can be downloaded directly to the
> Newton, ebooks in zip format need to be downloaded to a desktop, unzipped,
> and then emailed to a Newton running SimpleMail version 4.0. Newt's Cape can
> then load the .prc or .pdb attachment from the Inbox.

<snip>

Erm... SimpleMail 4.0? According to Newton Versions and Simon Bell's
Page, the latest version is 3.3... is there something in the works that
only people "in the know" are aware of" I know that Simon was talking on
c.s.n.(misc|programmer) about adding IMAP4 support.

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
--------President, Computer Science Club of the University of Guelph--------
-------Homepage & Newton stuff: http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/-------
--"He's a sharp little fellow. Talented. Only a little nuts." -M. Dyomin--

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com