Re: NTLK Development Help

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 12:52:38 EST

Leland Jory wrote:

> I have been a Newton user (off and on) for a few years, and would like to
> get involved in some development. I have little or no background in
> programming, but am looking for advice from current developers on a good way
> to get started.
>
> Anyone who can think of good resources for a newbie programmer to get his
> feet wet are wecome to pass some info along. I have NTK, and am not afraid
> of NewtonScript, but have not been able to find a really good reference
> written from a beginner's point of view.
>
> I have already downloaded the "Programming Newton Using Macintosh" web
> archive, but it's seemingly for intermediate-level programmers.
>
> HELP!

Leland,

"Programming for the Newton" is the lowest entry material I've seen so far to
program on the Newton. If you start with the first chapters, they explain types,
variables, control blocks and the specifics of NewtonScript. I can't think of
anything more basic, sorry. You may look on Steve Weyer's website for his
"NewtEnvDev" package, which lets you develop programs for your Newton directly
on your Newton, but I doubt it will be any easier than "Programming for the
Newton". There are simply some basic understandings you need to have in order to
program, and that is not always covered in manuals, as they assume that people
reading those books will have a programming training.

Additionally, you could maybe grab an introductory book to programming, but I
can't recommend any.

--
-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin