Re: NTLK HELP!!!!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 12:22:55 EST

Jbjng@aol.com wrote:

> OK. I can open the Extras drawer by using the silkscreen button at the bottom. But when I try to switch to the Extensions folder using the tab, I get an error (-10011)
> Then the tab switches from "unfiled icons" to "extensions" but the folder appears empty.

Oups! Whatever you tried did screw up the Extras' folder structure. That doesn't look good... Once the Extensions folder opens, after the error, what happens if you tap the
overview button (the big silkscreen dot button between the 2 arrows)? Is it still giving you an error? Can you install SBM Utilities on your MP? You could then use it to
delete the packages. If you have it, launch it and go in the "Programs" section. From there, you can delete any installed package. If you don't have it, try to get it and
install it. If you can fix your problem using it, that would be a lot better than the following suggestions I'm about to give you ;-)

Do you have a backup right before you tried this package that screwed up Extras? If so, the safest way to fix the problem would be to do a 'hard reset', erasing everything
on the internal store. Then, restore from the backup.

If you don't have a backup, you could try to do one right now. Make it two, full backups. Assuming you have a Macintosh, that means that when the first backup is finished,
quit NCU. Go to the Finder, retrieve the Backup folder. It should be in your NCU folder. Create a new folder in the NCU folder and rename it to something like "Previous
Backups". Then, open the "Backup" folder and drag whatever files are in there in the newly created "Previous Backup". Open NCU again, and perform another backup. Remove any
card that might be in your MP. Then, do a hard reset. To do it, press the reset switch in the battery compartment, and flip the On/Off switch On. Keep it down until you see
a slip on the screen asking if you really want to erase the internal store. Say Yes. Once it's done, re-install any package you know are working well. Then, restore from the
backup. Make sure you're not restoring any package, since you already installed them. Also make sure that you don't restore the "System Information" soup, since this is
where the folder information are. The downsize of this is that you will have to re-enter every registration for the packages you bought, your owner info, your handwriting
preferences, etc., and any email information you might have entered as well. The good thing is that you should recover from this error, and you might also recover some space
on your internal store that was lost due to fragmentation. Worst case is that the problem will still be there. So, you decide. When you restore, if you can, I would restore
only those information that you know are from good package, like Names, Date and Notes. Again, this is kind of a wild guess, since I don't really know what you have
installed on your MP. If any of this fails, then, well, I guess you will have to hard reset again, but you won't be able to restore anything.

If that's not possible, you could possibly try to use SBM Utilities and try the "Doctor" operation, or the "Clean" operation. The Doctor may discover inconsistencies in the
soups and repair them, but there is no guarantee. The Clean will usually only delete info that are not related to any package on your MP. This often happens if you try a lot
of packages and then delete them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific question.

--
-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by: