Re: NTLK HOW: beam me up...

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 02:26:36 EST

On 12/16/99 11:02 PM, Chris Ruprecht [mailto:chrup@earthlink.net] wrote:

>>Silvya No wrote:
>>
>> > Hi hall,
>> > I have question: is the best Palm V or Newton 2000?
>>
>>Give it a try yourself, then decide ;-)
>
>I would go for MP2100 still :)
>
>what, btw, is the difference between the Palm III and the palm V? I
>was asked by a friend to get him a Visor, which is essentially a Palm
>III, I believe. I had the opportunity to play around with it a bit -
>and I found it pure torture. I think I have been spoilt by my
>Newtons. Is the Palm V any better or is the Newton still ...uhmm how
>many year ahead? (it used to be 2 years ahead of the competition, but
>that was when the MP2100 was new to the market around fall 1997. It's
>now 2 years later, but I have not seen them catching up, so are we
>still 2 years ahead?)
>
>Have a good night, everybody,
>Chris

A Palm V is simply a tinier, thinner, *non-upgradeable* Palm III,
basically. They had to come out with the Palm Vx with 8MB instead of the
Palm V's 2MB. You also have only the one internal rechargeable battery;
you can't change it out if you run low on power like you can with any
Newton (or with most other Palms for that matter...)

If you're going to buy any Palm, get a Palm IIIx, or better yet a TRGpro
clone; that unit supports compact flash cards, but even that isn't as
nice as a Newton's PCMCIA cards as PalmOS can't use them to extend it's
memory. Palm's are currently limited by the Motorola Dragonball
processor they use to 8MB of user memory, 16MB of system memory. Period.

And Grafitti HWR sucks. My Newton recognizes my writing far better than
Grafitti does. And we won't even get into dealing with punctuation marks
and other symbols under Grafitti. Ick.

Newton's still years ahead of the competition, almost 2 years after being
discontinued.

 - Bill

 \\ /, Keep On Newtin'! Visit the Info-Newt news Web Site and FTP
`( Info-Newt software archive for Newton PDAs: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ and ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = FAQ for the Newton Community: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/
              SUPPORT NEWTON! -- INK DIFFERENT