re: NTLK Largest book created with Newt's Cape?

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 06:51:51 EST

>Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:46:18 -0500 (EST)
>From: Victor Rehorst <victor@gear.torque.net>
>
>Hey all, I'm trying to create a *very* large book. The source I'm working
>with is 2MB in HTML, or around 1.3MB in text. I'd like to use Newt's Cape
>to convert the HTML to a boot automatically, but my first few tried have
>failed. I'm serving the HTML on my own home network, so there's no
>concern over bandwidth (my Newt is connected via Ethernet, of course). I
>was just curious what was the largest book people have created using
>Newt's Cape? Thanks for any ideas or tips.

the last official "world's record" I had recorded a year or so ago
 (in http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/setup.htm)
is: "Mark Heringer holds the current Newt's Cape record for
largest book (created on MP130):
<A HREF="../../newtpkgs.htm#Heringer">Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains</A>
is ~397 Landscape pages, 526K !"

I also had gotten a report of a 1.3M package (688K compressed) created on
eMate.

there must be a few other/larger ones now...

there are some useful tips in setup.htm for increasing size.
briefly, your best chances of success with a file that size are:
- lots of heap (you didn't mention which model MP you have; MP2100 would be
best...)
- simple/minimal markup.
- medium-size paragraphs.
- save directly as package (rather than view first)
- if you could segment file into several 'chapters', you could save each
  as a separate package; and later combine those using a 'master book'

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com