NTLK Re: batteries...

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 07:09:39 EST

Someone asked...

>If I buy new Ni-MH batteries for my MP130, can I recharge them in the
>Newton using the standard power adapter?

Bill answered...

>I wouldn't recommend it; the MP130 rechargeable packs from Apple were
>NiCD, not NiMH. I doubt the charging characteristics are the same at all.
>
>I'd either use NiCDs if you really want to charge IN the Newton (you have
>to rig something to press the sensor button down so it knows you have
>NiCDs in there) or charge externally.

Bill is right insofar as the MP120/130 rechargeable packs were NiCD instead
of
NiMH. NiMH requires charge characteristics very different from what is good
for NiCD's. However, many people on this list have reported that they use
NiMH's
all the time and charge them within their MP's without any problems.
Myself, I use NiMH's in my MP130. I have no problem charging them within the

Newton if I have to (for example because I'm traveling and don't want to
carry
my external charger), but as soon as I have the external charger within
reach
again, I charge the batteries there.
Due to the wrong charge characteristics you probably won't get the full
capacity
out of your NiMH's, but considering they have way more of that than NiCD
you'd have
an improvement anyway.
And, as I'll never get tired to mention, even the NiCD charge curve Apple
designed into
the 130 isn't what someone capable of reading and understanding data sheets
would
have implemented. Which means that even with NiCd's you'd be far better off
if you
charged them externally.

Frank

about us at some time. Find out why at: