Re: NTLK cellphone adapter cable

From: Doug Ramsay (doug_ramsay@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 07:21:55 EST

Here's a message from Anthony from my archives:

Again, check out port's URL for acoustic couplers.

http://www.port.com/docs/acacous.htm

They claim 28k speeds, it may be possible but I've never achieved it in
practice. 14k seems to be as fast as I can ever hope to achieve under most
circustances. Also dont expect to get a very reliable connection if you are
parks next to a phone in a highway rest area. Even if the phone handset is
in the car and the windows rolled up all the way, the noise from the armored
cable rubbing on the glass is more than enough to disrupt the connection so
as much as possible you want to find a payphone in as quiet a place as
possible.

Finally, acoustic couplers are powered by a nine volt battery. You'd
typically get 20 hrs. of continuous use before it needs to be replaced. I've
had my acoustic coupler for 6 months now and havent had to replace it yet so
I take this as a good sign.

I hope this information is useful to you.

anthony

>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:03:37 -0600
>From: kdelwell <kdelwell@mindspring.com>
>To: "Newton Talkers" <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
>Cc: <victor@gear.torque.net>
>Subject: Re: NTLK cellphone adapter (Konexx for Sale)
>
>I just happen to have a "used" (never used) Konexx coupler for sale. I'm
>asking $75 (new is $149), if you're interested. I have never even tested
>it out to see if it'd work. It was purchased for me and I've never found
>a use for it:
>
>"The Konexx Koupler straps onto the handset of any payphone or telephone,
>to provide analog data communications at up to 26 Kbps. Use this acoustic
>coupler to send or receive e-mail and faxes, access the Internet or
>connect to the home office from anywhere in the world. "
>
>A picture of what I'm selling is at:
>
><http://hometown.aol.com/kdelwell/4Sale.001.JPG>
>
>Reference new units:
>
><http://www.konexx.com/products/koupler/index.html>
>
> >Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:22:25 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Victor Rehorst <victor@gear.torque.net>
> >To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
> >Subject: Re: NTLK cellphone adapter cable
> >
> >On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 CElhardt@aol.com wrote:
> >

> >> those digital PBX things, and I don't want to risk burning out my modem
> >> on it.
> >> Does anybody know if it's possible to plug the modem into the handset
> > >cable RJ(bunchOfNumbers) instead of the RJ45 from the phone system? I
> > >know the handset connector is a little bit slimmer than an RJ45.
> >
> >The handset connector is probably an RJ12. You'll have a hard time
> >finding an RJ11(standard phone)->RJ12 cable.
> >
> >I would suggest looking into one of Konexx's connectivity products. They
> >make all kinds of converters to allow analog phone devices to use digital
> >lines. (I've never used any of their products, I've just read about them
> >and they seem pretty neat)
> >
> >http://www.konexx.com

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com