Re: NTLK Newton to PC?!?!?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 02:02:50 EST

On 12/28/99 6:07 AM, Drew Loker [mailto:lokerd@hotmail.com] wrote:

>I know this asked often, but I am stuck and at wits end.

You didn't give us much to go on to help you solve your problem, so the
advice below is going to be pretty generic.

>I just can't get my computer to "talk" with my Newton. Tonight, I had access
>to a Mac and it was SWEET! It just loaded up instantly!!

Of course. That's why Macs are better! ;-) Ever consider "forward
migrating" to a Mac from PC? I GUARANTEE you'll have far less computer
headaches. I use both Macs and PC's daily and am constantly having weird
problems with PCs and NEVER having problems with the Macs, despite making
far more changes and additions to the Mac than to the PCs.

>This PC is driving me CRAZY! Since Dec. 98, I have not had regular access to
my Newton's
>files. I have been trying to connect my Newton to a PC off and on for 8
months.

Nothing ever works right or permanently on PC's. I rarely have problems
on Macs and I'm constantly adding new software, new hardware, etc. It
all just works.

>I beleive I have the right version of NCU,1.0a?

Can't tell without you telling us what model of Newton you are using.
The rules area:

OMP, MP 100, MP 110, MP120's (with OS 1.x) use Newton Connection KIT 2.0
(NCK) or earlier

MP 120 with OS 2.0, MP 130, MP 2000, MP 2100, emate 300 use Newton
Connection UTILITIES 1.0 (NCU). I've never seen an NCU 1.0a, but perhaps
the PC version has the "a" (normally, an "a" after a version number means
"alpha-test", a pre-release version, on Macs)

>I believe I have the right cable...Din8 to DB9. I just made it this evening
>(I should have bought it because it took so long...maybe it isn't
>right?!?!).

Sounds like it might not be.

>But the Newton just will not link. I keep trying all of the connect options.
>What option am I supposed to use? Serial? Serial 2400? etc...

Serial.

Define what you mean by "will not link". Do you get an error message?
What is the message text or number? Where does it appear, your PC or
your Newton?

You may also just need to slow your PC down; NCU for PC's is sensitive to
the speed of your processor (NCU for Macs isn't, plus it can use
Ethernet...another point in Macs favor over PC's <grin>)

Search Info-Newt for "slowdown" and you'll find a link to the program to
slow your PC down enough so it can talk to the Newton.

>Is there any thing else I could be doing wrong? I will buy a cable if I need
>to, I just hate to spend the money and find out there is something else
>wrong.

Might be a good idea to buy a known-good cable if you can find one.

 - Bill

 \\ /, Keep On Newtin'! Visit the Info-Newt news Web Site and FTP
`( Info-Newt software archive for Newton PDAs: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ and ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = FAQ for the Newton Community: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/
              SUPPORT NEWTON! -- INK DIFFERENT