NTLK Printing to a LaserJet 5SI MX

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 14:37:05 EST

Hi!

I've been trying to print at the office to our HP LaserJet 5SI mx
printer through Ethernet like I used to be able to do, but I'm no longer
able to do it. The problem is that I see 5 different network printers
named "LaserJet 5SI", and I tried to print on any of them, but never got
the job printed on our printer. The thing that you need to know is that
there are probably several hundreds printers here, at Fannie Mae, and
they're all configured basically to work with Novell and a print server.
However, the LaserJet 5si, at least, has the hability to receive
Postscript jobs right over Ethernet. Problem is, since the printers are
to be used from Windows, their Postscript configuration is not changed
since nobody cares here, and, as a result, they all end up with whatever
default name the default Postscript configuration has. I think there
might be a limit on the number of printers with the same name that the
chooser on the Newton will show you, because I see 2 printers named "HP
LaserJet 5Si" and others named "HP LaserJet 5Si1", "HP LaserJet 5Si2"
and "HP LaserJet 5Si3". So, I was wondering if anybody knows a way to
set a name for a Postscript printer from within NT. It's really easy
with my Mac at home using the tool that Apple provides, but on NT, I'm
stumped!

I know it works because I've been able some time ago to print using
Ethernet to our printer, but my worksite configuration doesn't work
anymore, even if I didn't modify it.

Also, I would like to know if anybody has been able to download news
using InkSpot by connecting to their ISP, from behind a firewall. I find
very frustrating to have a high speed connection and the hability to get
on the internet with my MP, but not being able to do anything else than
web browsing!

Any insights, suggestions or info gladly accepted!

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com