RE: NTLK Printing to a LaserJet 5SI MX

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 21:11:12 EST

Laurent,

Boy! That's a good question. It's a little more complicated than that on a
network though. And difficult to explain clearly. As an example, if you
spool network printers using NT then the server can communicate with the
printer using any one of several protocols, TCP/IP, IPX, a wierd one called
DLC, or AppleTalk. It's called creating a 'Port'. This is more or less
independant from how the clients access the printers. They can connect to
the printers using whatever protocols the server is running. That may seem
obvious but it leads to the situation where, for example, the server may
communicate with a printer using TCP/IP but Macs may be able to access the
printer using Appletalk. As far as the name goes, Appletalk Printers can
have their name that you set with the Laserwriter utility or the like on a
Mac but there is also a provision in AppleTalk for a printer to be
'captured' by a printer spooler. When the printer is captured it's name is
hidden and the spooler advertises the name of the corresponding print queue
in place of it. This is what happens when you create an Appletalk port for
a printer under NT. If you choose to capture the printer then printer's
AppleTalk name is the same as the NT queue name. Change the queue name and
you change the AppleTalk name. If you don't capture the printer then it
will be visible on the network with it's own name AND the name of it's print
queue. It's probably similar for
Novell but this may not be relevant at all since you have all those
duplicates and you're on a PC network. Strange when I was doing printers I
went out of my way to turn off all the other protocols on our printers
except TCP/IP to avoid network chatter but to each admin his own. Sorry if
I think out loud while I get focused on the point.

It sounds like you have two options:

1) The printers are probably equipped with JetDirect Ethernet cards. Use a
Powerbook that does ethernet and a crossover ethernet cable. When no one is
looking disconnect the Printer from the network and connect it directly to
the Powerbook. Change the name to something usable using Laserwrite Utility
or the like.

2) More complicated. Go to HP's Web site and get the JetAdmin software for
Windows. Don't get webJetAdmin. This software allows you to connect to the
printer and change a lot of settings. I don't remember whether it allows
you to change the AppleTalk name but it allows you change just about
everything else so I'd think it would. You can run a self test from the
printer control panel - unless your admins have locked it down, but that's
rare - that will tell you the ethernet MAC address, IP address of the
machine and it's current AppleTalk name. JetAdmin should be able to
autodetect the printers on your network - but generally only on your
immediate network segment - but this information will help you to identify
which is yours. JetAdmin is fairly self-explanatory.

Let me know what happens or if you have any questions.

Jon.