Re: NTLK Pocket Quicken - help

From: bpearce@cloud9.net
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 11:15:55 EST

>I have Quicken 5...and 'scuse me if I sound cynical....but seeing as how
>the Mac has a 4 digit Date system, I don't see how ANY app can't be
>compliant. AOL said that their older AOL apps were not Y2K compliant -
>even the Mac versions, bull. I don't buy not being Y2K compliant on a Mac
>at all...

I can't give you a specific, detailed explanation, as I don't have the reference on hand (and please, someone jump in here if you can be more specific), but my recollection is that the potential for Y2K problems exist in Macintosh software when the programs don't use the date format information supplied by the Mac OS.

In some respects, I think it's similar to the sort of problems that turn up when the MacOS is updated. When a piece of software takes a different path to perform certain functions (instead of strictly following Apple-recommended guidelines), there's always the chance that the part of the OS it relies on to do so will be changed or eliminated from future versions. In this case, programs that use non-proprietary methods for date information might have encountered some problems.

Also of interest is this information from Apple's Y2K page <http://www.apple.com/about/year2000/y2kswtests.html>:

Mac OS Rules:
Prior to the Year 2000,
years 11-99 will be interpreted as 1911-1999
years 00-10 will be interpreted 2000-2010

Beginning in the Year 2000,
years 91-99 will be interpreted as 1991-1999
years 00-90 will be interpreted as 2000-2090

Beginning in the year 2011,
years 00-99 will be interpreted as 2000-2099

So you can see where the potential for problems exist when programs rely on 2-digit dates.

(In my own experience, I can tell you that the first post-1999 entry I made in Quicken 2000 came up as "1900," while all others following were correctly registered as "2000" after I corrected them first mistake.)

BRIAN/bpearce@cloud9.net

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com