Re: NTLK newt's fatal flaw

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 19:11:45 EST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Marco Mailand wrote:

> > OTOH, it's very easy to do sockets in Java, so Ethernet syncing would,
> > from a connection standpoint, be easy to implement.
> The connection is made easily in LabVIEW too, but in case of the Newton
> the protocol is the problem. I assume that Apple hided some essential
> informations of e.g. the backup protocol somewhere in a proprietry code
> piece, like a DLL or DIL.

Oh, so you're planning on using the Newton's own Connection/Dock program?
Wouldn't it be easier to write a new connection util to send the data
rather than try to decode whatever Apple did? (Or is Connection
documented somewhere...)

> > I'm just starting now, but I'm working with NSBasic. It's extremely easy
> > to get started with, because, well, it's BASIC :)
> Yes, I bought NS Basic and NewtCard too and like how easy it is.
> Especially with kbd but small changes can be made with HWR too. However,
> as soon as something should be fast, NS Basic is at its limits and
> compiled programs are even slow and BIG!

True, but I could argue the same thing for VB and (possibly, I really
don't know anything about it) LabVIEW. I view NSBasic as a rapid devel
tool, as well as a great starting point for learning to program the
Newton. When I actually get some of my software *working* I'll know
exactly what its limits are :)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com