Re: NTLK HELP: Disappearing heap

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:51:49 EST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 kyle.powderly@mindspring.com wrote:

> That's where I think the problem is, because when I was trying to clean my out-box, and would tap on the up arrow to scroll up to the top of all the messages there, the message listing would disappear. The 'frame' remained (the menu bar at the top, the buttons for in-box and out-box, etc.), just the messages would vanish. I would fip back over to the in-box, and everything there was fine. Flip back to the out-box, messages there, scroll up, <poof!>. Nada.
>
> I know I need to do a brainwipe and restore of all data, just to clean everything up. There's part of the problem, too, because I keep hitting a -1 error during backup. A website I found yesterday while searching for a new copy of NCU (mine is in storage - dumb move, I know) said that the -1 error during a backup was likely due to a corruption in a data entry somewhere. Why do I suspect that the corruption is in the In/Out-box, it's eating memory like a dog eats biscuits, and I'm going to have a devil of a time fixing it on my own?

Really not much you can do... you might want to grab a soup editor (others
can suggest one) and try to carefully clean up what you can inside the I/O
Box soup. The In/Out box has always been a pain in the @#$%^ for me
*after* I restore backups: I always end up with about 2/3 of my messages
having blank message bodies. Grr. I hate it when I lose data. This
problem has forced me to use my Newt for mail only *very* occasionally.

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com