NTLK Question about Newtscape (longish)

From: mcw (mcw@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 11:36:41 EST

Hi, all,

I've been testing out Newtscape and find it an insanely powerful (and
as is always mentioned: slightly option-loaded therefore dense)
package. This thing rocks. One of the reasons I decided to move to web
browsing was Peter Rand's (gruesse an Wien! bin selber
Auslandsoesterreicher) description of reading news pages from cache.
That and the new DOCreader, which I haven't gotten around to trying
out...

But I have a question. I would like to wake up in the morning and just
start reading away on some news sites (NY Times summary, Salon
summary, a few of the places mentioned in the
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~blumax/plink.html site, hope I got
the URL right). It takes an age to actually download everything, even
with batch downloads of scheduling a few sites at once. Presently, I
have to download a page (i.e. salon.com's avantgo version), then open
it, then select all links, then load those. It takes a long while, and
I'd love to automate the process. I'd like to get the whole site at
once...

How?

I could schedule for the night, while I sleep, but then I have two
problems:
1. I have to hit "connect" when my connection slip comes up - and I'm
sleeping.
(first guess: do I check "ignore dial tone" in my NIE setup for this?)

2. I still only get salon.com, not every article listed there.
(first guess: does a later version allow downloading of whole sites?)

Is there a way around this? I am using NC2.0rX-2, my opening screen
tells me (oh, yeah, how do you change the opening screen?). Is this
fixed in later versions? Can I try those later versions out before
paying, to see how well it works?

Any help would be appreciated. My basic desire would be to have the
Newton sitting on the breakfast table with my 2 or 3 favorite news
sites already there. Presently, I don't see a way to do this (maybe I
missed it while reading the NC_help book). Can someone out there help
me out?

Thanks.

michael

about us at some time. Find out why at: