Re: NTLK Beam to a Palm?

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 09:16:52 EST

>Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:16:31 +1000
>From: David Arnold <arnold@dstc.edu.au>
>
>-->"Hai" == Hai Ng <nghai@whatexit.com> writes:
>
> Hai> I was assuming since under the Dock options I have IrDA as an
> Hai> option that Apple had completely implimented the IrDA protocol
> Hai> on NewtonOS.
>
>(refer to http://www.irda.org/standards/standards.asp for glossary)
>
>only PHY, IrLAP and IrLMP (i think), and i recall people saying that
>there is not enough exposure of the underlying implementation to do
>TinyTP properly (for example). which in turn precludes an IrCOMM
>implementation ...
>
>certainly not TinyTP, IrCOMM, IrOBEX, IrLAN, IrMC etc ...
>
>i *think* that PalmOS uses IrOBEX for synching?

according to the NTK 2.1 docs, Newton is minimally IrDA compliant: only
SIR, IrLAP and IrLMP.
complete set would include (at least):
- SIR (Serial IR), hardware protocol for 9600 to 115.2 Kbps data
transmission.
- FIR (Fast serial IR), hardware protocol for 115.2 Kbps to 4 Mbps data
transmission.
- IrLAP (Link Access Protocol). Built on top of SIR and/or FIR.
- IrLMP (Link Management Protocol)-Multiplexor, Name Server, Endpoints.
Built on IrLMP.
- TinyTP (Transport), built on IrLMP.
- IrComm 3-wire/9-wire serial/parallel-like interface. Built on TinyTP.

it didn't even mention other acronyms like: IrOBEX, IrMC, PHY (are these
newer?)

Steve

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com