Re: NTLK Necesito ayuda, help!!!!

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 01:36:45 EST

On 1/16/2000 8:15 PM, mmidgley@my-Deja.com [mailto:mmidgley@my-Deja.com]
wrote:

>Bill Davis wrote:
>> I'm not sure even a total hard reset/brainwipe will get past the
>> password. I sure hope not, otherwise what's the use of the password?
>
>The point of the Newton PIN is to prevent unathorized access to your data,
>not to prevent use of the Newton. If a brainwipe is performed, then there
>is no danger of your data being accessed. If the device is stolen they
>could go to the extreme of replacing the flash memory if they really
>wanted to use it (in the case that the PIN is not even cleared on a
>brainwipe). Regardless, it wouldn't be hard to write a newton program to
>be put on a memory card to break the PIN security measure.

Are you SURE a brainwipe clears the password?

Regardless, it SHOULD be BOTH to prevent access AND theft/loss (and I'd
assumed that's one reason the password screen lists the owner name and
phone number.....was so in case you lost it you could get it back...heck,
the thieft might even try to get a reward for finding and returing it
once they found they couldn't unlock it....)

I think someone DID write a password cracker....hah, found it on Planet
Newton's download area:

NewtonUnlock 2.1 - NewtonUnlock is a small (9k) utility which allows you
to bypass the password protection on a Newton. There is also a 6k help
file that may be loaded for online help. If NewtonUnlock is stored on a
card, simply install the card when the Newton asks for the password. Wait
for the Newton to read the card, and "poof" you're into the Newton. If
NewtonUnlock is stored on the internal RAM, do a reset. The password
screen will close soon after opening, and you're into the Newton. Once
into your Newton, run NewtonUnlock from the "Extras" drawer and remove
the password. This version places logs in the notification to allow
someone to check if their Newton was broken into. Freeware. Works on 2.0
also.

http://download.planetnewton.com/download/util/newtonunlock-2.1.sit

http://download.planetnewton.com/download/util/newtonunlock-2.1.zip

>Btw, many cell phones have secret codes which can bypass their security.
>I was a little annoyed when I discovered this about my Nokia 6185 (try
>*3001#12345# then select Security). Nokia probably should have had the
>12345 part be the SPC instead.

Bummer! Makes me not want to buy a Nokia! Hopefully there's nothing
like that for my Motoroloa Microtac Elite....

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com