Re: NTLK Newton Book formats...

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 16:04:38 EST

Hi John,

Actually, you are talking about two separate products, the 1st a version of
the Newton Book variety, the other one being a variety known as "PaperBack"
Newton books, by David Fedor.

The Newton has book reading and manipulation software built into ROM, and
you can build books that use this functionality using the Newton ToolKit
(NTK) with Newton Book Maker (NBM) or with Newton Press (NP). The two
utilities range in degree of technical expertise required, most to least,
respectively. NTK with NBM is the hardest to use, and NP is drag-n-drop,
essentially. You can do things in NTK/NBM you simply cannot do in NP (ex.
embedded NewtonScript, etc.).

Paperback is a piece of software written by David Fedor to allow quick and
easy text-only books to be compiled. These are not in Newton Book format,
but in a proprietary format that requires a book reader to use. The reader
software is quite small and can be bundled in the same package as the text.
At least one copy of the reader has to exist (unfrozen) on the Newton for
other Paperback books that do not have the reader bundled to work. You can
get more info at http://www.thefedors.com/pobox/

Regards,

Gary